I was recently nominated for a blogging award. The Liebster Award is an award given to newer bloggers by a more seasoned and experienced blogger. Before this year, I knew NOTHING about blogging.
Before I explain the tradition behind the Liebster Award, let me explain a little about my history.
In 2009, I enrolled in a doctoral program in clinical psychology. I spent four years commuting to Washington, D.C from Maine (crazy), where I attended the American School of Professional Psychology. I spent four years doing A LOT of clinical writing.
I have been out of school now (graduated) for two years. Given that I chose the specialty of health psychology, I have a strong desire to help families with children who have some form of disability. As some of you know, I have a 13-year-old child who was born with Bardet-Biedl syndrome.
From Clinical writing to blogging:
About two months ago, I submitted a proposal to Modern Mom ( a magazine that I enjoy reading) based on my clinical experience. After reading my proposal, they asked me to submit a story about Sam. I have always considered about writing about Sam and everything we have gone through with the hope of helping others, but I guess the time was never right.
After submitting “Changed by a Child to Modern Mom magazine for publication. I was asked to be a regular contributor.
That article, “Changed by a Child,” has inspired to me to write more about my experiences with Sam and also about the normal day to day things that happen when you raise five children – hence my blog.
The Liebster Award:
After 2 months of blogging, I was humbled to be awarded the Liebster Award by Sinziana @ sparklingshoesgirl.wordpress.com/ Thank you Sinziana!
This award has a German origin which means, dearest, nicest, beloved, valued, endearing, etc.
The Liebster Award is based on a tradition where a more seasoned and accomplished blogger welcomes a newer blogger, one who they see has potential.
When presented with the award, one has to the liberty of either accepting it or refusing it.
Urban legend claims that the people who refuse it end up with blogs that are abandoned.
Answers to Sinziana’s questions:
- What is your favorite topic to write about? I love writing about the experiences I have had caring for my child with special needs. I write about him with the hope of helping and inspiring others.
- What kind of free stuff do you like to offer to your readers? I am starting expanding my blog to include free resources to parents of children with special needs.
- What is your favorite color and where do you use it? Light blue. It is the accent color I use in our family room.
- What are your favorite 3 Christmas movies? The Grinch (original), Rudoph The Red Nosed Reindeer, National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation (very relatable).
- If you could change something in your life, what will you change and why? Boy, that’s a tough one. There’s a lot of things I would change. I would have educated myself (college and grad school) before I started having children.
- What is your favorite magazine? In style magazine.
- Name 3 bloggers that inspire you – and their websites. Douce, Scary Mommy, and Amy Lynne Andrew’s blog.
- What Social Media platform do you prefer? I am new to the social media scene, but I would say I prefer Face Book. It has allowed me the opportunity to reconnect with old friends.
- What is your dress style? As much as I love to dress up (skirts, boots, scarves) I find myself wearing mostly yoga pants these days – I think it’s in line with running around after 5 kids!
- List 3 things that you would love to do but you don’t have time right now. Take a nap! Take a nap! Take a nap!
- What do you prefer to have at dinner? Prime rib or Maine seafood.
Random Facts About Me:
I LOVE scary movies!
I have a weakness for French fries
I enjoy spending time with good friends.
I drink red wine.
I hate to clean!
I am a procrastinator.
I Love getting pedicures.
I drive a mini- van and I love it (sadly).
I am notoriously late.
I spend too much money on my hair.
I hate being cold!
I can’t resist my friend Lisa’s spaghetti sauce!
My nominees are:
Questions for my authors:
What subject do you enjoy writing about most?
Why do you blog?
If you could have one wish, what would it be?
What is your favorite vacation spot?
Who is your very best supporter?
What is your weakness?
What is your blogging goal?
Is your original blogging goal the same as it is now?
What is your favorite food?
What is one of your biggest regrets?
What has inspired you the most?
Name 11 Random Facts About yourself
So there you have it: my history, how I came to blogging, and the Lieberman Award – in a nutshell.